A few days ago, my mother was out of town and I was watching over my two sisters and little brother. Being the great eldest sister I am, I took them out to a crêpe restaurant they loved here in Rochester, NY.
I looked up the restaurant before going, to see if their crepes were vegan or not. Their website only mentioned their gluten-free and lactose-free option. Hmmm, why not say vegan? I was desperate for crepes so I read some of the reviews by googling the word "vegan" in Yelp's search engine to read the vegan reviewers comments.
I still had hope because none of the reviews were recent so I was saying oh they probably have a vegan option by now. It's 2017 anyways, year of the vegan! Yeah?
They didn't. I mean they had a couple of vegan options, but I went to a crepe cafe for a reason. Anyways, I had a vegan Coconut Pad Thai that was pretty good! But I wanted crepes... However, it turned out to be a great thing that they didn't have vegan crepes. Because now I discovered that it's pretty easy to make crepes. Plus I have my own vegan and healthy recipe. Besides, I get a kick from flipping those things.
Whole Wheat Vegan Crêpes
Makes 8 medium crepes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp coconut sugar (or up to 2 tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups soy milk*
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed mixed with 2 tsp of water
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and the coconut sugar (as much as you can)
- Add the cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla
- Now add the soy milk, adding 1/2 cup at a time
- Mix very well to get rid of any lumps in the batter
- Add the water if you think it's needed
- You want your batter to be thinner than a pancake batter. It depends on the kind of flour you use whether you'll need the extra water or not
- Let the batter sit for 10 minutes!! (This is a great time to do the dishes btw)
- Then mix in the flaxseed mixture
- Now heat a non-stick pan on medium-high heat
- When the pan is heated, pour in 3-4 table spoons of batter and spread it around the pan
- Let it cook until the surface is all dry, then flip, pat down and cook for ~60 seconds
- When all of the crepes are done it's time to decorate!
- Cherry Berry Compote, Cacao spread, Vegan Cream, Almond Cacao Sauce, Natural Caramel, or just peanut butter and some berries!
- Garnish with cacao nibs, berries, pumpkin seeds, and whatever else your heart desires!
*Can be reheated on the stovetop or in the microwave. Best when fresh.
*IMPORTANT: Make sure your plant-milk has only basic ingredients otherwise it might not work out and the batter might become very elastic. My soy milk only had soybeans and water.