Chocolate Crêpes (Vegan + Gluten-free)
I have two bags of buckwheat flour in the freezer. It's been over a year now since the last time I used it and kinda failed...
The thing with buckwheat flour is that it has a bitter taste. So you have to mix it with other flours and add more sugar than you usually would.
I added a tablespoon of coconut sugar, rice milk (since it's naturally sweet), and cacao powder to mask the bitterness.
I also mixed it with two other flours as I learned it's the way to go when making something gluten free.
Yet, it's still a bit bitter on its own. That's why you gotta top it with some nice cream and oh god these are transformed to wholesome deliciousness.
I tried subbing the almond flour with oat flour but they turned out dry, that's why I suggest sticking with almond flour
*If you're not gluten free, I suggest you try this crepe recipe
Chocolate Crêpes (Vegan + Gluten Free)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1.5 cup rice mylk
- Sift the flours together then add the cacao, cinnamon if using, and baking soda
- Mix the sugar with the rice milk very well
- Mix the liquid ingredients with the dry very very very well (you can also use a blender for this)
- Let the batter sit for 10 minutes (meanwhile, you can prep your compote and nice cream)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat
- When it's very hot, add the batter (about 1/4 cup at a time) and spread around
- Let it cook until the edges are dry and the surface is covered with bubbles
- Repeat until the batter is gone
- Decorate and enjoy.
*For the cooking method, watch the video below!