Ramadan is coming soon and the recipes are lining up!! This recipe is one of my favorites so far! Easy to make and everyone loves it!!! Even my sisters who are not vegan what so ever loved it! It's not the healthiest thing on earth but it's SO GOOOD! And not bad for you, especially if you avoid the oil and the extra syrup.
Let me know in the comments what kind of recipes you'd like to see for Ramadan!
- 1 lb Kunafa shredded dough (can be found in Arabian or Turkish stores)
- 2 tbsp of oil (if avoiding oil, simply skip)
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 tsp of ground cardamom (or more if you're like me)
- pinch of ginger
- 2.5 tbsp of coconut sugar
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup water
- crushed pistachio for garnish
- maple syrup, agave, or date syrup for serving
- Preheat the oven on 350F = 175C
- In a big bowl, spread the kunafa dough and shred it more with your hands
- Then mix it with the oil if using
- In a small pan, mix the corn starch with the ginger, cardamom, and sugar
- Then start adding the almond milk and turn the heat on high
- When it bubbles, turn the heat on low-medium and add the water
- Mix until it thickens
- Line a round tray with the kunafa dough. You want the first layer to be thick and lining the edges
- Pour the milk mixture in the middle
- Top with more kunafa dough. Just a thin layer
- Bake for 20 mins or until the top is GOLDEN!
- Garnish with pistachio and pour over it maple syrup or whatever
*Some people like to add rose water to it.
*You can also make it in a muffin tin like in the photo above.