Pumpkin Nice-cream with Pomegranate Cacao Sauce
It's Halloween, not that it means much to me, but today I decided to dress up. Something I usually don't do. Wanna know what I went as? Carbs. Ahahaha. We are going through a protein craze where most people fear carbs and think that carbs are going to make them fat and protein is going to increase their muscle mass. I used to be that person who drinks a protein shake at least once a day thinking (more like believing) that without that extra protein I won't build any muscle and more worse, lose the muscle I have already built.
When I first went vegan, I was really worried about how I am going to maintain my high protein intake. As I did my research and read articles written by doctors, I realized that us humans don't need more than 6% of protein to grow or build muscle. Anyways, enough about that. I will leave that topic for time, perhaps in a video or a detailed post. Let's talk about this pumpkin N'ice cream!
This nice-cream is similar to the pumpkin smoothie recipe I posted in the breakfast section, but it's creamier and sweeter. Plus, you have got to make the pomegranate sauce with it!! Such an incredible combination. Tarty, chocolatey, cozy, and heart-warming. That's isn't easy to get from ice cream, let alone a cruelty free one.
p.s. by dressing up I meant I wore a t-shirt that has "carbs" written on it.
Pumpkin N'ice Cream & Pom Sauce
- 3 frozen bananas (~320 grams)
- 1/2 cup mashed pumpkin*
- 3-5 pitted dates
- Optional: 1-2 tbsp cacao powder
*steam a butternut squash/pumpkin for 40 minutes then mash it. Or use canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
Pomegranate Cacao Sauce
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp date syrup or maple syrup
- 1 tsp pomegranate molasses
- Water to thin
- In a bowl, mix the syrup, pomegranate molasses, and cacao powder very well
- Start adding water slowly while mixing until it reaches the desired consistency. I used about 2 tbsp of water
- In a vitamix, or a high-speed blender (a food processor will do the job too, just add a tiny bit of water)
- Add all the nice cream ingredients and blend until smooth
- Add the nice cream to a bowl and then top it with the sauce
- Use a long thin stick or a butter knife to swirl it in