Coconut Chips with Sea Salt & Cinnamon From Scratch
Here I don't have the privilege of living in the States and finding almost any food product I want (except for sukkari dates!) I looked for coconut chips in multiple stores and couldn't find it, but then I thought why not make it? It'll be a lot cheaper, no additives, and fun.
Here's what you need to do in order to enjoy this experience to the max.
First, before you do anything freeze the coconut. Then, go for a run (I know this is irrelevant, but trust me it'll make your experience 10x better) have a hammer and a screwdriver handy. Poke the eyes of the coconut with the screwdriver and the hammer, get the coconut water out, drink it. SO refreshing.
Coconut water is full of electrolytes making it one of the best sports drink! Okay, back to the coconut, hammer it along its diameter until it cracks open. Then with a knife slice the flesh and pull it out. The longer you freeze the coconut the easier it'll be to get the flesh out.
- sea salt
- 1 tsp raw sugar or coconut sugar optional
- Preheat the over to 300°F
- Toss the sliced coconut in a baking pan with the sea salt, cinnamon, and raw sugar if using
- Place the pan in the bottom of your oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Place the pan at the top of the oven, and broil for 1-2 minutes (keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn)
- Store and enjoy on top of your smoothies, yogurt, trail mix, curries, or just snack on it!