Vegan Mushroom Shawarma with Garlic Sauce!
I know. I know.. I went there. Vegan shawarma?? Are you kidding me? I know that's what you might be thinking. But please don't judge this recipe until you try it. And with the garlic sauce. It's a must.
I'm not going to say much about this recipe except "DAMN IT'S SO GOOOD I THINK I'M GOING TO CRY!" That's what I was saying when I had the girls over for a vegan barbecue (If this is getting too vegan for you, hang in there my friend).
I've had the idea for this recipe for a while roaming in my head, but I'm glad that I didn't make it until I thought of the garlic sauce and ah ah ah it's the perfect combo.
Don't like having garlic breath afterward? I hear you. It just doesn't feel comfortable. But I've got a solution.
Eat an apple, drink mint tea, lemonade, use a tongue scraper. All these things can help a little.
It'll be worth it anyways. So dig in.
Vegan Shawarma & Garlic Sauce
- 3 portobello mushrooms
- 1 small red onion diced
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- chili pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary optional
- 3 pita bread for serving
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup soy milk (or water)
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp apple vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- salt & pepper to taste
- cayenne pepper to taste
- garlic powder optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the onions on medium heat with 2 tbsp of water
- Add the spices and stir until golden
- Meanwhile, slice the mushrooms thinly then add them
- Do not add water even if it's sticking a little bit. The mushrooms will release their liquid as they cook
- Add the fresh rosemary if using
- When the mushrooms are soft turn off the heat
- Add all of the ingredients to a Vitamix or a food processor and mix
- Taste and adjust to your preference
- Spread the garlic sauce on the pita bread
- You can add pickles, potato fries (baked of course to stay healthy!), chili sauce, etc. Go crazy
- Add the mushrooms
- Roll & enjoy!