Ohhh oh ohhhh! If I had to choose one savory dish to eat for the rest of my life, I'd choose hummus! The funny thing is that I used to really dislike hummus until I left the Middle East to study abroad.
Leaving home made me appreciate many of our local dishes. Before going to the States, I didn't eat hummus, falafel, baba ghanouj، harira, and many more. It could be because I left home or maybe it's just a normal part of growing up and being more adventurous with food. Either way, I'm really happy that I like all of these dishes now. I can easily just eat hummus with some veggies and flatbread as a meal! Even though it's considered as an appetizer.
I couldn't think that hummus could get any better until I added dried tomatoes to it! SO good. Somewhat sweet and lemony flavor.
Dried tomato Hummus
- 3 cups chickpeas (2 15 oz cans drained)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tahini
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp heaping cumin
- 1/4 tsp heaping paprika
- black pepper to taste
- chili pepper to taste
- optional: 1/2 cup of chickpeas to garnish
- In a bowl, add the dried tomatoes and hydrate them by pouring hot water over them
- Let the tomatoes soak while you prep the other ingredients
- Drain the beans and add them to a food processor
- Drain the tomatoes and add them with the remaining ingredients
- Process until it reaches a creamy consistency