Healthy Falafel From a Middle Eastern
Oh man, these were so good, they made my day! I was kinda nervous and almost certain I would have to make them again to perfect them, but to my relief, they were SO good. I tested the dough to adjust the seasoning and aahhhh it was so delicious! Even though I was so full. So I saved a patty and wrapped it, then in the freezer. I formed the remaining patties to bake, hoping I don't burn them. They turned out better than I hoped, toasted and crispy from the outside and moist from the inside.
I'm not sure if these are okay to consume raw or not because I don't know if chickpea flour is safe to consume raw, I read some comments online that it's safe, but might irritate the stomach. I was fine after that small piece, but I don't know. Please let me know if you have any info about consuming chickpea flour uncooked.
You can double the batch and have friends over and create a falafel bar, here are some ideas:
Raw or cooked onions, parsley, garlic paste, tomatoes, hummus, pickles, radishes, cucumbers, tahini, lemon, baked potatoes, beets, tzatziki, and avocados for a non-traditional combination.
makes 7 small patties
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- ≈1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp filtered water
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- +1 tsp fresh ground cumin
- chili pepper to taste
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil optional
- Mix the ground flaxseed with the water and stir, let it set in the fridge for 15 minutes or until it forms a sticky mixture.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375F
- Mix everything except the sesame seeds in a food processor, and process until it forms a sticky dough. If it doesn't then add a tiny bit of water or olive oil.
- Form patties and place in a non-stick baking sheet, sprinkle some sesame seeds on top, then bake in the middle rack for 20 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
- Broil for 5 minutes while still keeping them in the middle rack.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
- They are delicious cold or heated. To heat up the leftovers, simply hear in 350F for 5-10 minutes.