I am surprised that I haven't posted a pumpkin oatmeal recipe yet! I swear I thought I did, but that it wasn't a cacao pumpkin one. Smart ass. Anyways, I googled "pumpkin" on my website and I couldn't find a pumpkin recipe! Even though I make this recipe all the time! It's the ultimate cozy oatmeal recipe!
During this season, I steam a couple of pumpkins and then store it in the fridge so I always have some ready when I want to create a pumpkin-themed recipe. I try to avoid cans when I can for a few reasons. First, they consume more energy to produce than buying a fresh pumpkin. Second, waste. Third, not as fresh as homemade pumpkin puree or mashed pumpkin. Last reason, sometimes canned contain preservatives, and I'm not about that life.
Cacao Pumpkin Oatmeal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup mashed pumpkin*
- 1/2 cup rice milk or any plant-based milk (water is ok)
- 1.5 cups water
- 5 pitted dates
- dash of cinnamon
- pinch of ground ginger, allspice, ground cardamom
- 1 heaping tablespoon of cacao powder
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- date syrup (or maple syrup) to taste
- In a small saucepan boil the water and the milk
- Add the oats and simmer
- Add the cinnamon and other spices
- When most of the water is absorbed, add in the dates
- When ALL of the water is absorbed, turn off the heat
- Add in the pumpkin, the ground flaxseeds, and the cacao powder and mix well
- Add to a nice bowl and top with date syrup
- Top with your favorites! I topped mine with dried cranberries, dark chocolate chips, coconut flakes, pecans, and date syrup.