It's always pumpkin season for me. Not only during fall. But I do go crazy on the pumpkin during that time of the year. I'm no white girl, though my hometown is known for pumpkin.
If you love quinoa but you've never tried amaranth then you're missing out! Don't get me wrong, I like quinoa, but is it just me or does quinoa have an after taste sometimes? Well, amaranth doesn't. It's so delicious; it tickles your tongue when you eat it like they're dancing on it or something.
This is a huge batch because you can store it in the fridge and eat it cold later or even take it to work in a mason jars. Layer it with your favorite nut butter for a filling meal. I love to add cacao powder to mine with extra khalas dates! SO good.
If pumpkin isn't your thing, then try my amaranth date porridge recipe
*Gluten-free & Plant-based.
Pumpkin Amaranth Porridge
- 1.5 cups amaranth soaked for 8 hrs and drained
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup coconut milk or plant-based milk of choice
- pinch of ginger powder
- 1 small squash or pumpkin roasted
- +7 dates khalas or sweetener of choice
- cacao powder optional
- In a large pot boil some water with the amaranth
- Add the coconut milk and let it simmer for 30 minutes uncovered
- Add the cinnamon and ginger
- When most of the water is absorbed mash the pumpkin and add it to the porridge
- Mix in the dates
- Split between 6 bowls or save half of it for later
- Optional: Add cacao powder and extra dates to the bowl and mix