If you dislike tofu, but love (or used to love for my vegan friends) scrambled eggs, then this recipe is for you! It's so easy and it takes as long as you want it to take! It can take from 5-20 minutes. Depending on how crisp you like your scrambled tofu.
It's soft from the inside and crispy from the outside. Flavor? Whatever you want. That's my favorite thing about tofu. I highly recommend hot chili pepper sauce, takes it to a whole new level.
If you're unfamiliar with tofu, then click here to read all about it and how much I love it..
Note: Feel free to adjust this recipe by using whatever veggies you have on hand that seem suitable or no veggies at all. Just make sure you adjust the seasoning accordingly.
No Oil Scrambled Tofu
- 1 package firm or extra firm organic tofu
- veggies (all small): 1 red pepper, 1 red onion, 2 zucchini, 2 garlic cloves, a bunch of cilantro, moringa, 1 tomato, 6 mushrooms
- 1 tsp turmeric or less
- sea salt to taste
- white pepper or black to taste
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- a hint of ginger
- chili pepper flakes to taste
- hot chili sauce for serving highly recommended
- filtered water
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- Drain the water out of the tofu package and rinse the tofu
- place it on top of a towel or a large plate, and put something heavy on top of it (a bowl full of water or a heavy pot) This will get all the excess water out of the tofu
- In a small bowl mix all of the spiced with some water
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat
- Add a little bit of water to barely cover the bottom
- Cook the onions and garlic
- Add the tomatoes
- Add the rest of the veggies and cook until they almost reach how 'cooked' you want them to be
- Cut the tofu to squares
- set the veggies on the side and add the tofu, sautée it around and crumble it to smaller pieces
- Pour the spice mixture on top of the tofu and veggies
- Cook until the water evaporates, moving the tofu and veggies around occasionally
- Turn your oven on broil and heat the tofu and veggies for a few minute o, until you get that toasted texture.
- Serve with a side of potatoes and rosemary and chili pepper sauce!