Canvas foods are always my favorite, so much creativity involved. Chia, tofu, bananas, and oats. Endless variations, making every morning an exciting journey (ugh I hate that word.) Anyhow, I've always favored cooked oatmeal, well until I started making this recipe. Not only does it save you time in the mañana, but it's also so delicious, full of surprise flavors, chewy, and gooey.
I used homemade carrot puree; first, because it tastes better, second, it's more moist, third, it's easier for our digestive system to absorb the nutrients.
Overnight Carrot Cake Oats
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup carrot puree (steam carrots until soft, then process) or sub with mashed bananas or shredded carrots to make it raw
- 4 tbsp natural almond butter
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- cinnamon, ginger, cardamom to taste
- Sweetener of choice, 1-2 tbsp maple syrup would be great
- In an airtight jar, pour the almond milk, spices, chia seeds, and sweetener, close the jar and give it a good shake
- Add the flaxseed, carrot puree, and almond butter, and stir, I like mine not well combined so I didn't overmix them, it adds the surprise element to your breakfast. New flavor in every bite.
- Add the oats and press them down until they're all covered, and give a little stir.
- Let them set in the fridge for +6 hours, until the seeds and oats absorb the liquid.
Toppings & Layering: